Kevin explains how different types of microphones work, and what they are most commonly used for.
Wondering which microphone would be best for your shoot? Kevin breaks down the basics so you can figure out the type of mic best suited for what you're recording.
In this video, we cover how a microphone actually works, the difference between mic and line levels, XLR cables, pre-amps, phantom power, transducer types, and mic polar patterns.
More on recording techniques (and other equipment) later on in the series!
Any more questions about mics? Ask Kevin directly below!
Some of the equipment pictured:
- Shure SM58 Vocal Dynamic Microphone
- Rode NT5 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Rode Blimp Windshield
- Rode NTG3 Shotgun Microphone
- Sony ECM-V1BMP Electret Condenser Lavalier Microphone
- Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
- Ribbon and vintage microphones on display at History for Hire prop house